Online Registration Directions
Lafayette College students are able to register online for their classes using Banner Self-Service using any web-enabled browser on the College campus.
Students who wish to register in person may still do so by bringing their signed registration form to Markle 215 at their assigned time.
If you have a problem during the registration process, please use the help link on the login page.
You will not be able to register online for any course that requires an instructor or department head’s signature unless notified otherwise. You can still register online for your other course selections. You must bring your registration worksheet with the required signature to the registrar’s office at any time after your registration period begins.
How to Register Online: A Step-by-Step Approach
Before you starT
- You will need to know your Alternate (Registration) PIN. You will need to get this from your academic adviser.
At least a few days prior to your registration date:
- Make an appointment to see your adviser to select your courses and to obtain your alternate (registration) PIN. You must have this PIN to register online.
- Access Banner Self-Service from the registrar’s office homepage or by using the Offices and Resources link.
- Login to Banner Self-Service by entering your Lafayette network ID and password.
- Follow the link for “student and financial aid,” then click on the registration link.
- Click “select term,” select the correct semester, and then click “submit.”
- Follow the link at the bottom of the page to check your registration status.
You should note the date and time at which you can register. If you have any holds, you need to contact the appropriate office to clear the hold before registration.
On your registration date:
- Access Banner Self-Service from the registrar’s office homepage or by using the Offices and Resources link. Most of the network congestion occurs during the login process, not during registration itself, so please allow extra time to login to the system. The most common error message is “Service Temporarily Unavailable.” If you get this error please refresh the page.
- Login to Banner by entering your Lafayette network ID and password.
- Follow the link for student and financial aid, then click on the registration link.
- Click on “select term,” select the correct semester, and then click “submit.”
- Click on add/drop classes.
- Enter your alternate (registration) PIN in the requested box; then click on “submit PIN.”
- Scroll down to the “add classes” box and enter the CRN for each class you would like to register.
Please remember that if a class requires a lab or quiz, you must enter a CRN for that as well. You will not be able to register online for any course that requires an instructor or department head’s signature. You can still register online for your other course selections.
The “class search” function can be used to view a list of course offerings for a particular department.
When you have finished, select the “submit changes” button. You will then be returned to the add/drop page when your request has finished processing. The page returns a list of courses for which you have successfully registered.
If there are any problems with your registration request, you will receive a “Registration Error” message. The list below explains the types of error messages and the appropriate action. If you receive an error message, it means you are NOT REGISTERED for that particular course. Error messages are not retained when you resubmit your CRN.
You can add yourself to the waitlist in a closed course by selecting “waitlist” from the action column; you must then click on “submit” to confirm your addition to the waitlist. You can drop a course during registration by selecting “drop” from the action column.
In order to verify your schedule, please follow the link “student detail schedule” at the bottom of the add/drop classes page to verify that your registration has processed correctly. You should then exit your browser to ensure that your account will not be tampered with, and reboot the computer if you are at a public site.
Registration errors you might encounter:
|CLOSED- # WAITLISTED||Course is closed; the number of students currently on the waitlist is indicated.||Add yourself to the waitlist by selecting it from the action column and/or select another course. You must click on “submit” to confirm your changes.|
|The course requires the signature of the department head or the instructor for registration.||Obtain the required signature on the registration card that was mailed to all students and submit the card to the registrar’s office.|
|NOT OPEN TO ()||The course is restricted to members of a specific class.||Select a different course.|
|CORQ/PREQ Course REQUIRED||The course has specific co-requisites or prerequisites that may not be met.||If the course is a lab science please re-add both the lab and the lecture sections. Check to ensure that you have met the
course requirements. If you have met the course prerequisites, see the registrar’s staff to finalize your registration.
|OPEN – # WAITLISTED||Although the course has openings, students on the waitlist have priority.||Add yourself to the waitlist by selecting it from the action column and/or select another course.|
|Status rules not defined
for part of term
|System error generated for OPEN-WAITLISTED courses.||You can ignore this message.|
|TIME CONFLICT WITH (CRN)||You have registered for two courses that meet at the same time. The conflicting course CRN is identified.||Select a different section/course that does not conflict.|
|MAXIMUM HOURS EXCEEDED||Your request exceeds the number of allowed course registrations.||You must petition for permission to take an overload.|
|DUPLICATE CRN||You have entered a duplicate CRN.||You should re-enter the correct CRN.|
|DUPL CRSE WITH SEC (CRN)||You have entered a CRN for a course for which you already registered (different section).||You should re-enter the correct CRN.|
|COURSE NOT AVAILABLE FOR
REGISTRATION AT THIS TIME
|The selected course was canceled.||Select a different course.|
|CRN DOES NOT EXIST||An invalid CRN was entered.||Enter the correct CRN.|
Lehigh Valley Association of Independent Colleges Consortium
LVAIC allows current students to cross register for courses at participating institutions. Contact the Registrar’s Office for details.
Search for courses
Office of the Registrar
215 Markle Hall
Easton PA 18042-1768
Fax: (610) 330-5706
8:45 a.m.–5:00 p.m.