1. All departments and programs with honors have two courses titled “Senior Thesis” or “Senior Research.” Students must register for these two courses beginning the first semester of their senior year. Students may start the thesis in the second semester of the junior year only if they receive permission from the Academic Progress Committee.
  2. In order to receive honors, candidates must graduate with a GPA of 3.00 overall and 3.20 in the major. They also must fulfill any other requirements as established by the department in which honors is sought.
  3. After the first semester, a student who has earned an “A” in the thesis or research course may be nominated by his or her supervisor for departmental honors. Nominations must be submitted to the Academic Progress Committee before the end of the third full week of classes in the second semester of work.
    Download the Preliminary Nomination Form
  4. Honors candidates must submit completed thesis or research reports to their adviser two weeks before the end of the classes in their second semester of work. Each thesis or research report must be judged by a committee of at least three members including the adviser, another member of the honors department, and a member from an outside department.
    Download the Final Honors Nomination Form

Note:  Students wishing to do honors in a department different than their major or on an interdisciplinary topic spanning two departments should consult with their adviser or the registrar for additional information about requirements and special permission.